Friday, March 27, 2009

Erin Fountain: The Internet as a Tool for Assisting Students with Special and/or Diverse Needs

When I researched this topic, I came across a website that has links to various websites where teachers or parents can buy programs to help their students or children who have problems with learning. There is even a portion of the website that has links to software that can aid in helping adults with special needs.
The website: http://www.iser.com/special-needs-software.html which stands for Internet Special Education Resources, offers quite a variety.
As I scrolled down and read through the software descriptions, Smart Tutor caught my eye. I clicked on the link, and it brought me to another website. Smart Tutor is a program designed to help children who suffer from various learning disabilities, including ADD, ADHD, Aspergers' Syndrome and even Autism. The tutoring program is designed to help children aged kindergarten through fifth grade. The website: http://www.smarttutor.com/home/special-needs.asp states that the techniques they have designed for reading and mathematics are all researched-based and award winning. They have various features listed such as individualized learning paths, learning at the child's pace, each lesson provided offers a complete tutorial, a review, and a quiz at the end of the lesson, fun online learning, immediate, motivating and positive feedback from the website and reports that are easy to read for the parents and teachers. The program itself is $17.99 per month, but I personally think that the price is right on key. It's not too expensive, and the details about the program make it all the more appealing. I think parents would be spending more money on tutors per session and therapists to find out why their child isn't learning the way they should be. I think this solution is smart, for the child, the parents and the household budget!

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I really enjoyed your research on this topic. I feel very strongly about parent partnership in education and I am glad to see that there are tools out there that parents can use with their special needs children at home. As my plan is to become certified in exceptional student education, I will very likely be using resources like the ones that you found.
    -Kelly Romero

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    I can see you put a lot of work into researching this topic, and it seems to be something that you care about. Your research was interesting to read and made me go check out the websites. Keep up the good work!
    -Valerie Schulz

    ReplyDelete