Thursday, April 2, 2009

Erin Fountain: The Internet as a Tool for Assisting Students who are English Language Learners

This topic is very familiar to me. I am currently enrolled in a class called 'Teaching Diverse Populations' right now, and I am learning so much about ELL's or English Language Learners. I have actually observed in several elementary school classrooms that are using a style of teaching designed around helping ELL's in their classroom success.
I found a website: http://www.usingenglish.com/students.html that is extremely helpful in the assistance of English Language Learners. I personally found the website to be very thorough. The website itself offers quizzes, a list of the idioms that we use in our language (I found this to be quite humorous, since I do not know what half of them mean myself!) irregular verb lists, study skills, a guide to writing essays in English and even an open forum to ask questions about anything.
Overall, I think that this website is phenomenal in helping ELL's better understand our language. Speaking English comes easy to most of us, because it is our primary language. But looking at this website made me quickly realize that it's not as easy as it seems. I think that this website can help greatly and offers a wonderful program that is simple to use, and highly efficient and effective.

[Erin Fountain]

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I loved 'Teaching in Diverse Populations'! I checked out your website and it does seem like a great site. A little overwhelming at first but once you click on some links it seems very helpful. It looks as though it is more geared to intermediate or above ELLs. Great site, I liked how quick the "teachers" respond in the forum and "ask a teacher" sections. I don't know how ELLs do it, it takes a lot of work and a lot of practice!

    ~Kaitlyn Lara

    ReplyDelete