Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reflective Online Teaching: Erin Fountain

When I used Google to find my article on the Internet, I came across this website: http://www.springerlink.com/content/f235223203721861/fulltext.pdf [This is the PDF file because the original writing on the page was far too little to read!]

In reading this article, I learned that reflective teaching is basically a teachers own way of teaching. The author, Faridah Pawan, sums it up perfectly by saying "reflective teaching involves teachers' self-evaluation of their practical theory by means of which they subject their personal beliefs of teaching and learning as well as their teaching practice to critical analysis."

Pawan states that online distance education, such as the course we are all currently enrolled in, is a great example of reflective teaching. Dr. Simpson requires us to do weekly blog work, and reflective discussions. Through this example, we are learning a little bit more about ourselves and our beliefs about certain subjects. As future teachers, we can do a little reflective learning ourselves, along with reflective teaching. Since I want to be a first grade teacher, instead of having my students write a blog about what they have learned, I might have them do a project that helps pull all the key concepts of a lesson out, just as Dr. Simpson has us do weekly.
I believe that reflective teaching and learning are very beneficial.

Erin Fountain

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I agree with you when you say that reflective teaching and learning are very benficial. In the powerpoint that I read, the professor was greatly aided by keeping a journal in his class. However, I guess I had not realized that that is what we are doing, reflecting upon and expanding upon the ideas in the book.

    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that reflective teaching and larening are very valuable because in a sense they are both students learning. Even though it tapped into peoples emotions sometimes doing things like that are good. Also i thought it was really great that he kept a journal after ever class so that he could go back and remember what they discussed and maybe in the future would be a reflection back on what his ideas were then and what they are now.

    -Signe Larson

    ReplyDelete